Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Tony Passed Away

With a heavy heart I have to report that my fat boy Tony has passed.  He was very, very old.  Over 2 years old.  He lived a long life for a rescued feeder mouse.  He was healthy until this week, although he still seemed really happy right up to the end. 

He started to keep one eye half closed and really slowed down.  His breathing got labored and last night he may have had a small seizure.  I knew there was nothing that could be done for him, so I didn't want to put him through any stress of taking him to a vet/unfamiliar environment.  I wanted it to be peaceful for him.  It's not peaceful at all for me.  I loved him so much, and he will be missed so badly.

I held him for the last time this evening and fed him his last meal.  I made him some lasagna noodles because I knew it wouldn't be long.  He didn't seem interested in any other food.  But the lasagna--he ate that with gusto.  He seemed so genuinely happy to be chewing on that noodle that it almost gave me hope that he would pull through.  When I checked on him at 4:30 am I saw him in his final sleep inside one of the tubes I made for him.  And then the tears started. 

Tony was just a nice mouse who I believed loved me.  He was happy-go-lucky and always seemed glad to see me.  I'll never forget the day we met and he looked at me quizzically with his little jewel-red eyes and tentatively sniffed the air as if to ask, "Are you my new mom?" 

I never will forget him.  I couldn't have loved that sweet boy more.

No comments:

Post a Comment